Fire causes havoc in Siraha, Morang
Hundreds of houses were destroyed and goods and properties worth Rs 120 million were gutted by fire in two separate incidents in Siraha and Morang district on Saturday.
Goods and properties worth Rs 100 million rupees were destroyed when over 250 houses and sheds belonging to 85 families were gutted by fire at Shivanagar of Bariyapatti VDC-8 of Siraha district yesterday.
The fire could not be immediately brought under control by a team of police personnel and locals because of the strong wind as they helplessly watched the fire spread and consume hundreds of houses in the village.
District Police Office Siraha said the inferno, which broke out from a straw heap near Jogan Yadav’s home, was eventually doused at around 5:00 pm with the help of fire engines from Lahan and Rajbiraj.
An unidentified adult male and three children have suffered burn injuries and are currently receiving medical care at Lahan hospital.
The fire caused a panic among the villagers as they tried to salvage whatever cash and ornaments they could from their burning houses.
The displaced families are currently living on the open ground as district authorities are trying to assess the damage and destruction caused by the fire and distribute food and relief materials to the victims.
Similarly, properties worth Rs 20 million were destroyed in another incident of fire at a jute mill in Hattimuda-6, Morang on Saturday afternoon.
The fire was caused by an electric short-circuit, police said, adding that many machines of the mill were destroyed in the fire.
The fire had started at around 3:00 pm and was brought under control by the fire brigade from Biratngar, Dharan and Itahari after two hours. nepalnews.com