'Rs 20 billion spent from state coffer to manage cantonments of disarmed Maoist insurgents'
Around Rs 20 billion has been spent so far on behalf of the government to manage the Maoist insurgents, who gave up arms in 2006 after 10 years of insurgency, said news reports on Saturday.
The amount was used in managing the makeshift tents where the former Maoist guerrillas were residing, said the reports citing the Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction.
Of the total amount, the cantonment management office spent around Rs 10 billion, while the Secretariat of the Special Committee on Reintegration spent around Rs 8 billion. The remaining amount was spent for other administrative purposes.
Meanwhile, the Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) has been investigating the misuse of Rs 4 billion out of the 20 billion dispatched for the management of the cantonments, added the news reports citing CIAA sources.
The rehabilitation and reintegration of the then Maoist insurgents has already been completed, thus concluding a crucial phase of the peace process agreed upon by the Maoists and the state. nepalnews.com