Over 100 feared dead in South Sudan border state after unknown group's attack
At least 103 civilians and 14 soldiers are missing, feared dead, after an unknown group attacked a village in a border state in South Sudan, Sudan Tribune website reported on Sunday.
It quoted witnesses as saying that the attack took place on Friday in South Sudan's Jonglei state on border with Sudan.
State Governor Kuol Manyang, however, said only 14 people, including eight soldiers were wounded, while the whereabouts of hundreds of children remain unknown when the village in Akobo county was attacked.
Manyang said the attack took place when the whole village was en route to spend the dry season along the Sobat River.
He described the incident as the worst-ever attack in the area since March last year, but said rescue efforts were underway and the actual number of casualties will be found out.
"I have just received the news about it from the commissioner ( of Akobo) that hundreds of people are missing and many others were killed by a mixed group of Yau Yau (rebels) and young people from the Murle tribe," said Manyang.
The governor said those who carried out the attack also raided some cattle and were reportedly heading towards Pibor county.
He urged the local residents to remain calm, saying the army is trying to track down the attackers. However, Manyang expressed fears that thick undergrowth in the area, coupled with the long distance, could hamper the army's efforts to pursue the attackers.