CPN-Maoist to wage ‘water war’ against Indian hegemony in Nepal’s hydro-power sector
CPN-Maoist Secretary Dev Gurung has said his party will now wage, as what he called, “water war” against India’s growing interference and involvement in Nepal’s hydro-power sector and the government’s lackadaisical attitude towards the same.
Speaking at a programme organised in Beshisahar of Lamjung on Monday, the Maoist firebrand said his party will expose government’s plans to export all the electricity generated from big hydro-power projects in Nepal to India without considering the country’s power needs and its general indifference towards the hydro-power sector by waging a nationwide “water war”.
Claiming that India is trying to capture all the big hydro-power projects in Nepal, Gurung said that the Nepali people are well aware of Indian conspiracy of allowing only 12 percent of the electricity generated by such power-plants to be used in the country and take the remaining 88 percent to India.
He also claimed Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai and UCPN (Maoist) leader Pushpa Kamal Dahal were encouraging as well as supporting such acts of India.
Gurung also demanded that the licenses of all hydropower projects including the 600 MW Upper Marshyangi Hydropower Project going to be built by Indian companies GMR and Himtal Hydropower in the bordering areas of mountainous districts Lamjung and Manang must be scrapped at the earliest. Nepalnews.com