Amid mounting pressure from the opposition parties, the government on Thursday said it will not implement the controversial decision to legalise the land and property transactions made by the Maoists' "people's government" across the country during the decade-long insurgency.
The cabinet meeting held today morning at Singha Durbar took the decision a day after Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai assured the opposition- Nepali Congress and CPN-UML- during a three-party meeting held at Gokarna Resort that the government will take back its decision to legalise war-era land transactions to break existing political deadlock.
Emerging from the meeting, Minister for Local Development and Maoist leader Top Bahadur Rayamajhi said that the government has decided not to implement the decision to legalise land and property transactions made during the insurgency.
However, Minister Rayamajhi refrained from using the word "withdrawn" when asked by journalists whether the controversial decision of January 12 that has greatly enraged opposition parties as well as rights activists has been revoked.
Opposition parties led by NC and UML have been greatly agitated over the issue, terming the decision as a violation of the interim constitution and peace accord. Saying that the implementation of the deal could derail the ongoing peace process, they had been disrupting House proceedings since January 12.
However, the House session is expected to resume at 3:00 pm in the afternoon after today's cabinet decision. PM Bhattarai will address the parliament over the issue, it is learnt. nepalnews.com