Nepalis and friends of Nepal celebrated the third annual Walk for Nepal in the US city of Boston in high spirits last Sunday. Despite the early morning rain, about 400 men, women and children of all ages, ethnicities and professions gathered at the Revere Beach Boulevard to give back to Nepal and help the people in Nepal who need it the most.
The walk began at 11 am with the auspicious Panchai Baja played by the “Boston Susheli Samuha.” The energised crowd chanted inspiring “Walk for Nepal” slogans during the two-mile course demonstrating their cultural roots and their deep connection with Nepal. The walkers enjoyed ethnic Nepali food of chia, Sel-roti, momo and alu achar after the walk. The event also featured ethnic Nepali music, songs and poems dedicated to Walk for Nepal, and modern Nepali songs by local talents. “Let’s organise an even bigger walk next year,” remarked the lead organiser of the Boston walk, Sundar Gurung.
Walk for Nepal (www.walkfornepal.org) is a common platform and a movement for bringing Nepalis, friends of Nepal and Nepal-serving NGOs to give back together to Nepal meaningfully. The walk is organized by “Nepal ko Yuwa” (NKY), a registered non-profit organisation. This year, NKY has already organized Walk for Nepal in Washington DC, London and Boston. NKY will organize the last Walk of the year in Dallas on November 10, 2013.
NKY supports and partners with charitable organisations with credible service history in Nepal. This year, eighteen non-profits participated in Boston and organised a door-to-door campaign to mobilise walkers and raise funds. The organisations are Aama ko Ghar, The Ama Foundation, Balsarathi Academy, Boston Strong, Empower Dalit Women of Nepal (EDWON), Foundation for Educational Change (FEDUC NEPAL), Friends of Maiti Nepal (FOMN), Global Inclusive Adventure Organization (GIA), Help Nepal Network, Heralo Pratisthan Kaski, Himalayan Lions Club (New England Chapter), Maya Universe Academy, Mysansar.com, Nepal ko Yuwa, Nepalese Children's Education Fund (NCEF), Nepali Women's Global Network (NWGN), Nyaya Health and Sharing Resources. The walk raised about $20,000 in donations and additional $5,000 in corporate sponsorships. Online sponsorship at http://walkfornepal.org/wfn-2013/boston/sponsor/ will remain open for another two weeks to give opportunity to walkers to seek more donations.
The non-profit partners will use 80% of the funds they raised for various community projects in Nepal. They will share the remaining 20% with the Walk for Nepal Youth Innovation Fund to be awarded at the end of the year to other Nepal-based youth entrepreneurs selected through a national competition . NKY’s expenses for organising the event will largely be covered by corporate sponsorships and a fraction of the registration fee. NKY is committed to full financial transparency and will work closely with the non-profit partners to share the outcomes of the funds raised, said a statement issued by the organization, 29 September 2013. nepalnews.com