Ten individuals have been confirmed dead on Sunday in the landslide incident of Jure, Sindhupalchok that has blocked the Sunkoshi river.
“During search and rescue operation today, two more bodies were found,” says Yadav Koirala, Chief at the Disaster Management Division of the Home Ministry.
“A total of 155 locals are missing in the disaster, according to initial data. We are making efforts to verify this number.”
Mohan Basnet, a lawmaker from Sindhupalchok district says there could be some 50 houses in the landslide area. “The District Administration Office is collecting data to get the final figure and other data, too.”
Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister, Bamdev Gautam has made a field inspection to the incident site today. He has instructed the concerned officials to immediately take ahead the search and rescue operation.
Home Ministry’s official Koirala also accompanied DPM Gautam and instructed the officials on duty to safely open the Sunkoshi river natural dam created by the landslide.
Earlier on Sunday, Nepal Army personnel became able to open the river flow partially with the help of two blasts.
In the 3 km dam, water is not stable and is flowing. But if the dam outbursts suddenly, it will devastate settlements downstream affecting Sindhuli, Udaypur, Saptari, Khotang and Sunsari districts.
A number of people have left settlements downstream fearing flashflood. The Home Ministry has arranged immediate relief for them.
Nepal Army has been working to provide an outlet to the river cautiously. The Home Ministry has already issued a warning to locals on Saturday to shift 200 metres up the river until the crisis is mitigated.