Thursday, 5th March 2015

42 killed in Afghanistan since Friday, with Taliban vowing to speed up attacks

Privacy Policy

The ongoing violent attacks mostly in the shape of suicide bombings have claimed 42 lives with majority of them civilians in the militancy-hit Afghanistan since Friday amid the Taliban threat to continue fighting until eviction of foreign forces from the country.

In a massive suicide attack against a restaurant in the diplomatic enclave of Wazir Akbar Khan district in Kabul on Friday which has drawn worldwide condemnation, 24 people including three attackers and 21 civilians were killed. Among the 21 civilians, 13 were foreigners, according to officials.

Taliban outfit immediately after the incident claimed responsibility for the deadly suicide attack. The Taliban purported spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid immediately after the attack said in a statement that the armed outfit targeted elements supported invaders in Afghanistan.

 In a related incident, three Afghan youths were killed while four others wounded when a rocket fired by the Taliban landed in Maiwand district of southern Kandahar province on Saturday evening, spokesman for provincial government Jawed Faisal said.

  In another bloody suicide bombing which took place on Monday in the southern Kandahar province, 12 people including two civilians, one U.S. soldier and nine attackers were killed, according to local officials.

However, Qari Yusuf Ahmadi who said to speak for the Taliban outfit in talks with media via telephone from unknown location claimed that dozens of foreigners were killed in the suicide attacks and gunfire lasted for several hours in a main base of foreign forces in Kandahar on Monday, which was rebuffed by officials.

 A day later on Tuesday, three more civilians lost their lives as a mine planted by militants on a road in Maiwand district of Kandahar province exploded.

Anti-government militants in another incident but bloodless kidnapped 63 de-miners from Pashtun Zarghond district in the western Herat province on Tuesday morning but set them free in the afternoon.

Amid the ongoing violence, the Taliban outfit in a statement posted on its website termed 2014 as a "dangerous year" for the United States and vowed to continue fighting. Kabul (Xinhua)



Google Plus